Welcome To
Al's Vietnam
Home Page


ega1.gif (3333 bytes)


A Veterans Tribute

361 Memorial Pagenew1.gif

Al's Bulletin Board

CH-53A Sea Stallion

Flying Tiger History

HMH-361 History

Honors Awarded To 361

In Country Photos 1

In Country Photos 2

Poems & Letters

Photos submitted by
members of 361

Photos Page1

Photos Page2

Reunion Information

Reunion 98 Photos

Reunion 2000 Photosnew1.gif

US Army Photos

P.I. Sound Clips

Map of Vietnam

MIA Cpl. Kane

My Autobiography

Home Page

Sign My Guestbook

View My Guestbook

A Pictorial Account of
U.S. Marines In

Other Vietnam Vets
Photos new1.gif

ega1.gif (3333 bytes)

 UH34 D Helicopter
 Restoration Info

U.S. Marines In Vietnam
Page 1

Battles They Fought And The Sacrifices They Made.


While every effort has been made to maintain complete, updated and accurate information, this site is not an official source for information about the Vietnam War or the United States Marine Corps.

 I hope the material I supplied below will be helpful to all high school and college students learning about the history of the Vietnam War.


Material found on this page was supplied from the book titled
Leatherneck Associations Inc.


 huey.gif (4239 bytes)



"Charlie of the South"


02.jpg (12054 bytes) Generally, early combat operations were similar in design. Marine helicopters landed grunts on the outskirts of villages and hamlets and the Marines established a perimeter. Vietnamese interpreters instructed the villagers to form in a group and move to a centralized location. Once the villagers (generally only women and children) had moved to comparative safety, Marine fire teams rushed into the village to search for the enemy. They were almost always met by VC snipers. The enemy was a pathetic looking lot . . . small, slim, barefoot and poorly armed, but he was determined, and he could and very often did, kill. Charlie of the South was elusive, cunning and tireless. He thought of himself as a patriot and often opened fire, single handedly, on advancing Marine companies or even battalions! He fought in small units, and often died . . . all alone, deserted by other members of his cadre.
01.jpg (8837 bytes)


"Another Landing"

04.jpg (10031 bytes)History has a strange way of repeating itself. In May 1845, American Marines went ashore from the USS Constitution in an attempt to release a French Catholic missionary from prison.

  "Old Ironsides" was anchored at Touron Bay, Cochin, China, during her cruise around the world. Touron Bay is known today as "Da Nang."

  Much has happened since that first landing in Vietnam by American Navy men and Marines, over 125 years ago.  Following the signing of the Geneva accords, Bedell Smith, representing the American delegation, stated that the United States would not threaten or use force to disturb the accords, and "would view any renewal of aggression in violation of the Agreements with grave concern as seriously threatening international peace and security."
Enemy troops continued infiltrating from the north. The monsoon rains came, bogging down the mechanized army of the south, but guerrillas don't need wheels.

  As the rains fell heavily, the guerrilla units began strong offensives in every major sector of operations, including the southern deltas, central highlands and the mountainous north.

  It was then that the USS Maddox was attacked in international waters by North Vietnamese PT boats, an attack referred to as the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

  During a sneak night attack, the VC hit the air base at Pleiku in the central highlands. The American barracks was rocketed; aircraft and helicopters were shredded.

  Eight Americans were killed; 125 more wounded.
The enemy then struck at Qui Nhon in Central Vietnam. The Americans counted their casualties.
             The decision was made."Land the Marines!"06.jpg (11974 bytes)
  March 8, 1965, began cloudy and windy. There was a pounding surf and a strong offshore wind. Breakers reached 20 feet. The landing was delayed.

  Then the small landing craft reached the beach. Ramps ground open and the Marines stormed ashore. They were greeted by a mob of photographers, local officials and Vietnamese school girls.

  Secretary of State Dean Rusk was asked if Marines would shoot back if fired on.

  "Obviously," he replied. "That's the history of the Corps."
  The 3d Bn., Ninth Marines waded ashore 10 miles west of Da Nang. They were part of the Ninth Marine Expeditionary Brigade, commanded by Brigadier General Frederick J. Karch.

  Once ashore, the Ninth Marines linked up with the Ist Bn., Third Marines which landed by C-130 Hercules transport aircraft later in the day.

  A month prior to the arrival of the Marine ground troops, a battery of Marine HAWK missiles was transferred to Vietnam for the defense of the Da Nang Air Base.

In support of the grunts, or infantry Marines, came Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-162 from Okinawa, which would bolster its sister squadron, HMM-163. Marine Observation Squadron-2 landed the following day. The Marines surrounded the air base, weapons at the ready. Some moved atop Hill 327 which dominates numerous approaches to the air base. To many,  it was "just another landing." Not a single shot was fired; not a casualty was suffered. The lack of pain and bloodshed would not be absent for long; sea breezes along the South China Sea would soon carry the smell of gunpowder, echoes of shells firing and blood would spill on both sides.  But for now, at least, it was just another landing. It was "move out...spread out, hurry up and wait." It was hot. Throats were dry, backs wet with sweat and feet soaked from flooded rice paddies. Units moved to establish a perimeter defense around the Da Nang Air Base and helicopter landing zones. They were on Hill 327 and Monkey Mountain.  The Marines had landed! 

 "A Plot To Defend"


05.jpg (6496 bytes)They were like homesteaders. They came ashore, were assigned plots, and they dug in.

The 3rd Bn., Ninth Marine, Regiment, Third Marine Division ' landed in early March. By the end of July, the division was committed in its entirety in Vietnam.

  Their mission: "To secure advanced air or naval bases . . . to deny the use of seized positions and areas to, the enemy . . . to close with and destroy the enemy . . ."
  How best to fulfill this mission? The answer was simple . . . "enclaves!"  According to the dictionary, an "enclave" is a "country, wholly surrounded by a foreign country."

  As it pertained to the Marines, it was a plot of land surrounding vital airstrips. Without air power, South Vietnamese troops would be in a bind for a swift striking capability.

  Without Marine security on the airstrips, aircraft and helicopters were vulnerable to enemy mortar and small arms fire. With the airstrip locked in a firm, friendly grasp, allied troops in the field were guaranteed resupply, reinforcements and quick medical evacuation.
  Several battalions of Marines were, stretched out in a wide perimeter with their backs to the Da Nang River and the South China Sea. Patrols ranged deep into the mountains to keep the Viet Cong on the move, always away from the Da Nang Air Base.

The second enclave was established at Chu Lai, 60 miles south of Da Nang. Sea bees performed the near impossible, constructing a 4000-foot aluminum section runway in 23 days.

  Doesn't seem too impressive?You haven't seen Chu Lai!  Whereas Da Nang boasts firm, green flat lands and gently rolling hills (for the most part, at least Chu Lai is a settled sandstorm. Patrolling Marines were ankle deep in the golden sands, which tugged at boots and pulled at leg muscles until they cramped or were released for the next step. And there was cactus . . .  The third enclave was Qui Nhon, 90 miles down the coast from Chu Lai, and III MAF's southernmost stronghold. A battalion landed there on July 1, 1965, from the carrier Iwo Jima after allied intelligence reported an imminent VC mortar attack against the airstrip.  In addition to the security of the tiny, but very vital air base, Marines had a secondary mission of keeping the two major highways open; Route 1 runs I north and south, and Route 19 runs from the coast, inland to Central Vietnam.

The final and most northern enclave established was Hue/Phu Bai, 50 miles south of the 17th Parallel. Marine infantry and artillery dug in, protecting the 6000-foot runway, finding some relief in the flat, dusty rice paddy fields and mounds. A battery of 155mm howitzers provided artillery support for the 55-square-mile zone. Marines of III MAF lived in the hottest, coldest, wettest and driest sections of Vietnam. They wore out boots on the plains, in the mountains, steaming jungles and on the deserts. A Marine from Chu Lai visiting Da Nang would find himself in a seeming oasis of greenery, with ocean breezes fresh and constant.

  From Hue-Phu Bai, another Marine might claw down a sharp jungle path and catch a flight to the flat, open, broiling expanse of Chu Lai.

  Regardless of the surrounding terrain, the enclave Marines were, temporarily, like homesteaders.

  Theirs was a necessary, vital assignment; theirs was a plot to defend.

   Enabling Marine pilots and their aircraft to soar freely through the sky over Vietnam was not an exciting or glamorous job. Mechanics, armoires, metalsmiths and crew chiefs labored around the clock to maintain the aircraft.   Flight line temperatures ranged in the 130's and touching metal meant blisters... but bombs and repairs went on.

helo.jpg (6805 bytes)









" Things That Kill"


sweep.jpg (13533 bytes) Your back is sticky with sweat and the jacketclings and chills. An odor flows upward, out of the open neck of your utility shirt, and you discover with a grimace that the smell is you.
The sun pounds down. Sweat burns the eyes, flows along the edge of the nose, gathers, then pushes on down to the corner of the mouth. A tongue flicks out.

Salty. Yech!

Hot, tired, smelly and uncomfortable, you hear a voice. "Cold soda, Marine?" You smile a "yes!"

  She flips off the soda top and pours the fluid into a paper cup full of chipped ice. You gulp down a large mouthful of the cold, sweet fluid. Small chips of ice slide down your throat along with the soda. Then you realize, too late, that slivers of glass are cutting your stomach . . . from the inside, out. The games people play in Vietnam are deadly.

  A convoy of trucks moves slowly down the highway to Hue. A group of small boys offer loaves of French bread to Marines riding on the backs of the vehicles.

  One of the trucks, loaded with supplies, suddenly heaves into the air; Marines thrown into lifeless shapes, landing in heaps on the side of the road.

  One loaf of bread contained a hand grenade.

  Cpl Burley Boykin was point man on a patrol with Co., 3d Recon Bn., when he tripped a homemade Viet Cong booby trap. The jazzed up I, beer can was filled with bits and pieces of discarded metal and Boykin caught 80 of them throughout his body.

  Boykin was lucky. Though a painful encounter, he would live and walk the point again. But he walked ever so cautiously!

trap.jpg (16169 bytes) The Viet Cong's ability to make weapons from discarded objects is uncanny. Their tools are crude. Few enemy guerrillas have any technical knowledge explosives. They're lackadaisical in their approach to providing pain.

  They don't care if they kill or maim, as long as they put a combatant out of action, while using as much pain as possible in the process.

  Ever hear about the Marine and the bear trap? The enemy rigged the device so it took a special key to release the victim. A Marine stepped in and jaws clamped shut. No key was available for his release. When others attempted to evacuate the casualty helicopter, it was learned that the device was chained to a concrete slab embedded in three fee of earth.

  To evacuate the Marine meant digging up the anchor, carrying the concrete, chain, bear trap and the casualty to the landing zone. When the choppe set down at Da Nang, a doctor, corpsmen and Marines with hacksaws and cuffing torches were also standing by to release the jaws of the trap from the Marine's leg.

 punji.jpg (7178 bytes)

Punji stakes, sharp needles of bamboo, are concealed along paths and roads. Advancing Marines come under enemy fire and dive for concealment . . . to be pierced by deadly points which have been dipped in animal excreta to infect those not receiving fatal punctures.

  Viet Cong booby traps don't look good. They aren't smooth, shiny or professional in make-up or composition. They're crude, clumsy, unbalanced, often resembling Rube Goldberg inventions.

  Some are primitive, such as huge, heavy balls of mud which contain pointed spears. They're hung high and fall heavily on unsuspecting troops below.

  Some are ridiculous. You'd laugh, until the thing exploded, knocking the grin off your face. Then you'd realize, they're things that kill!.

  Enemy booby traps came in a varity of shapes and sizes. Some crude; others, highly sophisticated. Marine explosive experts, engineers, recon SCUBA teams and scout dogs continually searched for the gadgets of death. Some Marines chose to ignore the dangers of hidden explosives. It often proved a costly mistake. Some lived...many did not.


 "Chasing' Charlie"


 chase.jpg (13593 bytes)


  chase1.jpg (14852 bytes)
  Charlie was elusive and cunning. Marine grunts and aviators teamed up in heli-assaults on suspected Viet Cong strongholds. At times, it appeared that the sky was full of droning choppers crammed with combat-ready Marines. At other times, Marine grunts rode to combat on armored vehicles, such as amphibious tractors, tanks and Ontos, which ferried units into battle.

  But it wasn't the helicopter or the steel monster which found, faced and fought the enemy. It was the grunt. It was the young Marine, the recent enlistee who was trained, supplied, armed and transferred to Vietnam, who made the final contact with Charlie. It was the grunt who made Charlie run.



"The Sky Is Ours"



  On the ground in Vietnam, the enemy may be anywhere, but in the air, it's a different kind ofch46.jpg (7664 bytes) war.

  The air belongs to allied jet jockeys, transport humpers and chopper poppas. Marine aircraft, regardless of size, shape or speed, drone unopposed through the skies of South Vietnam.

  Marine close air support is like a poker hand with three jets as openers. Skyhawks, Phantoms and Intruders provide surprise, punch, speed and countless enemy casualties.

  The Intruder, an all-weather attack bomber, can carry 28 500-pound bombs, flying through any natural weather disturbance which grounds other aircraft.

  Supersonic Phantoms with bombs, rockets and the 20mm mini gun (which "burps" 4000 rounds a minute, or 65-70 rounds per second) provide headache number 44 to enemy guerrillas moving towards friendly lines.

  Skyhawks, stubby-winged jets, have recorded 120 sorties a day, dropping more than 10,000 tons of ordnance, up to 1000 pounders.

  But it isn't all jets in the 'Nam. Jumbo, cargo planes, as the C-130 Hercules, burdened with men, mail, chow and whatever else there's room for, waddle out to the flight line, grunt and groan, then lumber into the air like gooney birds.

  Observation craft, the O-1E Bird Dogs, unarmed and slow moving, carried six 2.75mm Willy Peter rockets for marking targets for the jets.

  Helicopters come in a variety of shapes and sizes. First, there was the thinly clad, mosquito-like Sea Horse. It was small and could carry a limited load, but it was a workhorse, and dependable.

  They ferried wounded from battle. They carried beans, bullets and broads. The latter, visiting USO troops. They flew plasma, VIPs, rockets or water.

  The Sea Knight was huge in comparison, and could carry a lot more weight. It also mounted .50 caliber machine, guns instead of the .30's the Sea Horses toted.

  53hove.jpg (7121 bytes)Then came the Sea Stallion, an assault transport cargo helicopter, largest in the Free World's arsenal. Built especially for Marines, it carried 38 combatladen troops. Dubbed "Super Bird," it can trail a 20,000-pound external load. Top speed: 170 knots.

  A Huey is a polliwog-like machine with a bump for a nose and a sawed off cigar for an exhaust, but no one laughs as it "whomp whomps" across the sky. It carries a rocket pod on each side, mounting eighteen 2.75-inch rockets. Two mounted machine guns are situated atop the rocket pods.

  From the Huey evolved the Cobra, smaller, thinner, but with one hell of a sting! It boasts a rapid firing mini-gun pod that spits either 3000 7.62 rounds, or, with a flick of a switch, belches out a total of 279 40mm grenades.

  Alongside the Cobra's center are rocket pods that carry 56 high explosive rockets.

  Another innovation, introduced in Vietnam, is the OV-10A "Bronco," similar in design to the Lockheed Lightning or Black Widow of World War II.

  The plane is armed with four internal 7.62 machine guns, two on each side. It can carry a total load of 3600 pounds of bombs, or marking rockets, Sidewinder missiles or the fast-firing mini-guns.

  During the monsoon season, with torrential rains blanketing the airstrips, the enemy figured they'd have it knocked. No aircraft, they reasoned, could take off under such conditions.

They attacked. So did the Marine pilots.

Results? Heavy enemy casualties.

  The enemy may roam the paddy or jungle, but sometimes he forgets, the sky is ours!


f4jet.jpg (10713 bytes) The role played by Marine aviators and the importance of Marine aircraft in Vietnam may never be properly told. In addition to aerial observation and reconnaissance, close air support, saturation bombing, strafing runs, medical evacuations and delivering the mail, aircraft provided a great morale boost to ground units while seriously demoralizing the enemy.

  Many hard core Viet Cong and North Vietnamese soldiers surrendered to allied forces because of the continued pounding, strafing or hazing by Marine pilots and their aircraft. Without Marine pilots and their "birds," the story of Hill 881 or the results of the stand at Khe Sanh might have had a much different ending.


"The Gentle Side"



  A Marine rode, shotgun on a resupply convoy. Clutched in one hand, a loaded M-16; in the other, a bag filled with candy. As the convoy bounced its way along the pockmarked highway, curious children were met with handfuls of wrapped sweets.

That's the gentle side!

  The Third Marine Division's Memorial Children's Hospital at Quang Tri or the, Hoa Khanh Children's Hospital at FLC are more like Stateside hospitals than most in Vietnam. Marines, Navy men and Seabees built them and have continued supporting them with money, materials and a sympathetic love.

  Never before had Marines been asked to rebuild a country as they secured it, During the Pacific island campaigns of World War 11, Marines fixed bayonets, charged, scored a victory and moved on to another island, leaving the mopping up to, other allied units.

  In Vietnam, during an 18-month period, nearly two million South Vietnamese received free medical and dental care offered through a variety of medical civic action programs, or MedCaps.

hosp..jpg (22158 bytes)  Marines writing home about the many orphans  were rewarded with boxes of clothing, soap and food. Not only were cartons received during December, but folks back home provided a year 'round Christmas.





  Marines, grunts, wing wipers and supply men constructed dispensaries, showers, wells, latrines, playgrounds, walkways, schools, markets, roads, dikes, culverts, school furnishings, fences, bridges -even pig sties.

All in the name of the gentle side.child.jpg (19589 bytes)

  A brick factory operated by the 7th Marine Engineers obtained raw material from CARE and employed refugee labor to make bricks which were then supplied, without cost, to hamlets in the area for schools.

  The work of Marines in their fight toward Vietnarnization wasn't fully shouldered by those in Vietnam alone. In the States, Marine reservists, commercial companies and individual families contributed huge amounts of items needed by the Vietnamese.

  One pharmaceutical company in California's Bay Area contributed more than a million dollars worth of medical supplies!

  The Vietnamese didn't get supplies by merely asking for them. It wasn't a large "hand out" program. They got materials because they needed them, as determined by a Marine representative and the village chiefs.

  Among projects designed specifically to, increase the level of education was the General Walt Scholarship Program, established in 1967 to assist needy students showing potential as future leaders.

  The program grew from 465 elementary and high school scholarships to over a thousand! Financial support was provided by the Marine Corps Reserve Civic Action Fund.

  Today's Marine stands ready as "first to fight . . but there's another side of him. Hundreds of former Viet vets are contributing monthly to clothe, feed and educate countless orphans. The kids might be Catholic, Protestant or Buddhist most is the fact they're kids.

  Faces of combat Marines are hard, crusted with sweat and lined with concern. Removed from the fields of battle and placed in a surrounding of kids, the Marine's face softens, and the crust of grime cracks to reveal a grin.

  The Marine will replace his rifle with the small hand of a child, and though neither understands a word of the other, they share a common warmth.

This, then, is the gentle side . . .



"Nguyen Of The North..."



nguyen.jpg (20553 bytes)  Just before Thanksgiving Day, 1965, 3/7 met an enemy force near Quang Ngai. Three of the enemy were killed. Eight weapons were captured.

  It marked a turning point in the war. The enemy proved to be members of the 95th Regiment, 325th Alpha Division, North Vietnamese Army.

Nguyen of the North was migrating south.

  At that time, it was estimated that seven NVA regiments had crossed into South Vietnam; an eighth was considered "probable" and a ninth, "possible."

  By early 1968, four NVA divisions and elements of two other divisions were fighting in the south. '

  How does Nguyen of the North differ from his fighting ally, Charlie of the South?

  Nguyen is a "bo doi" or basic infantryman. He'll wear a simple, lightweight uniform which may be many colors, including gray, gray-green, khaki or even robin egg blue. He wears a light, camouflage covered pith helmet.

nguyen1.jpg (23356 bytes)  He carries plastic canteens on a thin webbed belt, and if he carries a knife, it'll be crude; homemade. He'll have an entrenching tool, and wear the canvas, rubber soled shoes, or "Ho Chi Minh" rubber sandals.

  He's comfortably dressed and well armed, carrying a modern, effective ChiCom copy of a Russian weapon, either an SKS carbine, AK-47 assault rifle, light machine gun or rocket launcher. The SKS, AK and machine gun use the standard 7.62 cartridge.

  Operating in the field, he's formed into squads, platoons, companies, battalions, regiments and divisions. He utilizes the "triangular" concept with three squads per platoon, three platoons per company and so forth. (A squad is 10 men divided into three cells.)

  A rifle company has from 60 to 130 men and includes three rifle platoons and a weapons platoon which has 60mm mortars, 57mm recoilless rifles and light machine guns.

  A regiment (1400 to 2000 men) may have special units attached, as signal, engineer, recon or medical, and may carry heavy machine guns, 120mm mortars and 70mm or 75mm pack howitzers.

  Communications units carry field telephones, small hand radio sets or sophisticated switchboards and transmitters.

  Engaged, they frequently use the "close embrace" tactic, meaning they get as near as possible to the enemy (as they did to Marines at Khe Sanh) to prevent the use of supporting fire.

  The NVA is not a rinky-dink outfit. Nguyen has proved himself a well-trained, professional combatant.

During "Operation Hastings" in July 1966, Task Force Delta with 2/1, 2/4 and 3/4, the Special Landing Force (3/5), 1/1 and 1/3 clashed with NVA of the 324B Division. In all, 8000 Marines and 3000 South Vietnamese troops met Nguyen and his comrades. Then began "Operation Prairie" and "Deckhouse IV."

Nguyen of the North was fighting with his back against his homeland. He was well equipped; well trained; well supplied. But he was not invincible. Before the end of January 1967, nearly 1400 NVA had been killed during operations around the DMZ.

The NVA had moved concentrations of troops into the South through the DMZ because it was an easier route than along the Ho Chi Minh jungle trail. Also, moving through the Demilitarized Zone shortened Nguyen's supply lines.

He was stopped by American Marines . . . but it wasn't a permanent halt.

He'd be back . . . at Mutter's Ridge, Khe Sanh, Hill 881 and Meade River. Marines would hear more of Nguyen of the North.


  PAGE 2


All Guests Please
Feel Free
My Guestbook
book.gif (2678 bytes)
View My Guestbook

UH34D Restoration Project HMM361
Please click on the UH34 (Dog) photo

Please mailto
for any comments, suggestions, or bad links


Special Thanks to
Walter "Woody" Wood III (U.S.M.C)
for the book

"Ambassadors In Green"


 Thanks for stopping by
Semper Fi